Friday, November 20, 2009

Second round: what seemed to work. . .?

Hi all,

Well, we finished the second round of dialogues (minus the make up dialogue for those students who were ill, etc. and could not make this round). The feedback overall was more positive than in the first round, although I've heard from many of you that this one was particularly difficult. It's pretty much uncharted territory, what we're doing, and so some things work better than others and I am really hoping hear from you on that regard. For myself, and working with the white students, I found that starting with a general discussion of what is white privilege? and then whiteness as separate from white bodies worked to open up the discussion of the resistance strategies (the handout).

Interestingly, some students really appreciated the discussion on resistance strategies but got pretty upset about the McIntosh checklist, while others seemed to get more out of the checklist and clammed up when we talked about strategies. Anyway, I'm aware more than ever that these things take time to sink in for some folks, and that immediate reaction might be negative, but it stays with some (white) folks and they continue to think about it. On the other hand, the energy and personal investment/honesty from ALANA groups was palpable.

I am aware of the energy this takes, and the commitment on all your parts. I am so amazed and grateful for all your enthusiasm, creativity, vulnerability, intellect, care and work to make change happen. Each of you has contributed so much to this project, and I hope you realize how much all of your effort has meant to what we have been able to accomplish. Again, not always immediate or perfect but for those reasons much more meaningful than a brief class discussion (or none at all) on the topic.

thanks much,

Leda

1 comment:

  1. Hi Leda,
    Thank you for your leadership and for believing in the power of dialogue. Throughout this entire process, I've tried to keep in mind the following adage that my first yoga teacher shared with me, "Blessed are the flexible, for they will not be bent out of shape".
    As I reflected on the second session, I, too, felt the enormity of what we are trying to accomplish in such a short period of time. So much so that I jumped into the dialogue, and had to be reigned in by my co-faciliator, Mariama. ;-)
    In spite of the jumbled process, I believe we managed to create a safe, space for sixteen individuals to begin to address the complex issue of race, more specifically the issue of white privilege. It is apparent that white students lack these opportunities and this project is perhaps the first time they have thought about many of these difficult issues.
    I am truly encouraged by number of students we have influenced, and hopeful we have changed the attitudes, beliefs and behaviors of some.
    Good work, team. Enjoy the holiday!
    Peace,
    ~Danette

    ReplyDelete