Friday, September 18, 2009

Answering some Questions

Hi
Rather than attach comments to Liz's post I thought it might be better to address concerns and make some general remarks here. I appreciate the questions posted; they are very important at this point in terms of our overall goals and organization.

First, my thought was that there would be overall content and process goals for the group to be posted on the wall for each dialogue. The ones I had mentioned in our last meeting were almost identical to the ones Liz posted via Ellen. That is, a content goal is to raise awareness of our own and others' racial identities and the role these identities play in larger contexts of privilege and inequality.
Another stated by the IGD folks that I like is to: explore similarities and differences within and across social group memberships.

our teams' goals do not have to be identical to these but some similarities are necessary for continuity purposes. Also, I wouldn't want too many content goals--2 or 3 is plenty.

You might identify process goals in terms of skills to promote action for self and others toward achieving a more just campus and society:
1. developing skills for listening to others to promote better understanding and widen our perspectives
2. developing skills in working through and and actually valuing discomfort and conflict for its potential for our personal and collective growth.

My wordy words. These can have a bit more variation but something along these lines.

II. E-reserves/Readings lists
I had planned last week to post a list of readings to suggest for students. There is an e-reserve account set up from which I had asked you all to read for our meetings this summer. I asked them to re-activate the account and it does appear to be working. I have added some readings and can add more. I suggest that you draw from what is there, but not more than two or three.
I suggest the Harro reading, the Tatum reading, the Johnson reading and one I just recently added from Myles Horton's autobio called "Islands of decency." All but one are short and to the point. The downside is that none deal complexly with race and whiteness, but these are good starting points.

III. Room issues. As we take on even more students (depending on who actually shows up we could have as many as 400 in small groups), there will no doubt be snafus with rooms on campus. I am having a terrible time getting rooms for the thursday dialogues, so if any of you know of available rooms for 10/22, 11/19, 12/3 and 12/4 PLEASE LET ME kNOW

IV. I have not posted facilitator assignments b/c I have not received everyone's available dates, and because we might have more sessions at one time and less at others. It depends on when the students can come as well. I don't yet have their availability. I could use your help both in sending me your info and for when i get the student sign up sheets. I need to match all that with rooms I don't yet have. Any help here is much appreciated.

V. I on;y have one person who has said that they could come to the practice session on Friday and one wo might come to the alternative Sunday. I will not hold them if more of you do not respond, so please, if you want the practice, let me know.

VI. I will post more details regarding dialogue logistics and guidelines but I would prefer to address you all in person before we start. It's much easier for me to answer questions in person, although I understand the usefulness of posting it for the group.

Take care,
Leda

1 comment:

  1. Posting a comment to my own post. Wow, i wish i had better organizational skills!

    Anyway, I forgot to post the password for the e-reserves. It's "dialog". If any of you want to add readings to what's up there (under COMM 500, or my name or Shabazz) please let myself or Dee know

    ReplyDelete